Thursday, August 5, 2010

Splice

Splice (2010)

I had high expectations going in and I was utterly satisfied when coming out. Splice kept me on the edge of my seat, anxious to know what was coming next (you know it's nothing good but you just hope...).

First of all, Adrien Brody and Sarah Polley - good on ya for taking a risky role and doing a fantastic job. They were awesome. Someone said to me the other day, "Oh I don't like Sarah Polley - she takes on the weirdest roles. Like that movie with the alien." Well POO TO YOU because Sarah Polley is our Canadian hero. Okay fine, that's exaggerating it a tad.

I think I already summed up the basic plot in a previous post about movies I was looking forward to so I won't repeat myself. Plus this is so old that people probably already know everything they need to know. But I'm here to say, GO RENT THIS MOVIE AND WATCH IT if you didn't see it in theaters. It's intelligent, it's refreshing, it's just downright interesting.

Downsides. As with the reviews I read beforehand, some scenes are... kind of funny, one in particular. The audience laughed. I laughed. I'm not sure what the original intent was, but I think it could have been disturbing and very serious (it was still disturbing yet funny) and it didn't quite hit the mark. You'll know what I mean when you see it, although I feel like if the rest of the audience didn't burst out laughing it would have made a harder and darker impact on me. Then the last 20 minutes is bizarre and drags out too long, but it doesn't make Splice as a whole any less interesting or great.

I'll definitely be picking this one up and watching it again very soon.

Overall: 8/10
-------
Gore meter: 1/10 (nothing bloody or gross here)
Scare meter: 1/10 (besides some tense scenes nothing here is scary either)
Interesting meter: 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment